The evolving frontiers of knowledge encapsulating myriad management disciplines suggest that the world is gradually transforming into a service dominated arena from a manufacturing hub. Yet, the salience of manufacturing cannot be ignored in regard to catering the increasing demands of a burgeoning population. Over the recent years the manufacturing sector has also undergone considerable renaissance pertaining to the inclusion of state of the art technology, variation in the skills of the workforce, implementation of modern production practices, designing of supply chains, etc. A significant change is observed in light of the distribution and delivery of the product to the end customer. A notable mushrooming industry which has been booming across India in particular, and in most corners of the globe in general, is that of the modular furniture or the assembled furniture industry.
The present study focuses exclusively in the modular furniture industry in the context of an emerging economy like India. The goal of the firms is to ensure higher profitability by on time delivery of the products at a client location and a complete delivery ("in full") of the product ordered, so that the product creates value for the customer which in turn vouches for the realization of the associated revenue by the firms. Interestingly, though all the functional units of the firm performed well, it was observed that most of the firms suffered a dip in the profitability. This has been attributed to low on time delivery (about 30%).Using the doctrines of the theory of constraints, the array of the undesirable effects(UDES) has been collected through field as well as online inspection and interviews. Through the current reality tree, the UDEs help in uncovering the core problems of multi-tasking of the crucial resources and of inefficient processing of orders. The evaporating cloud portrays the core conflict behind the present scenario. Besides, the logical thinking process tools have been leveraged to design the injections and eventually create the future reality tree. This provides a solution to the problem that paralyzes the industry. The paper concludes with a note on the managerial implications.
- 2014 - Fellow Programme in Management, FPM(equivalent to PhD.) in the area of Operations Management & Quantitative Techniques from Indian Institute of Management Indore. (Pursuing)
- 2013 - Executive Programme in Business Analytics & Business Intelligence(EPBABI) from Indian Institute of Management Ranchi securing Excellent grade.
- 2007-2011 - B.Tech in Electronics And Instrumentation Engineering from College Of Engineering & Management, Kolaghat; affiliated to West Bengal University Of Technology and accredited by NBA securing a DGPA of 8.49 on a scale of 10.
- 2007 - ISC from Calcutta Boys’ School, Kolkata; affiliated to the Council For The Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi securing 86.20%
- 2005 - ICSE from Calcutta Boys’ School, Kolkata
- Worked at Cognizant Technology Solutions India Pvt. Ltd. (IT Services) for 30 months.
- Summer training (graduation level) on non conventional sources of energy at WBREDA, Department of Power and NES, Government of West Bengal, India
- Stood third in overall and first in third year of engineering (awarded college medal).
- Have received Grade A(Highest) in EPBABI,IIM Ranchi
- Awarded an OUTSTANDING grade for industrial training and final year project.
- Awarded certificate of appreciation by the AVP,BFS at Cognizant Technology Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.
- Felicitated for X th standard board performance.
- Have been appointed as the additional general secretary of my college for the academic session 2009-10
- Have been a member of the editorial board of CORONA, annual magazine of my college for the session 2009-10.
- Have been awarded with distinctions in painting from All India Association Of Fine Arts
- Cleared ISTQB Foundation level by scoring 98%.
- Cognizant certified Core Java professional.
- Cognizant certified BFSL0 professional.
- C , Sybase ,Oracle SQL/PLSQL, MS-office & java(basics),SPSS,R
Doctoral courses completed:
- Advanced operations management, contemporary topics in operations management, contemporary topics in statistics, applied probability and advanced statistical techniques, analytical modelling in supply chain coordination and contract design ,theory of constraints, simulation, optimization methods