GCPL has been growing through acquisitions in emerging geographies wherein increasing business complexity (in terms of product portfolio, new product introductions) has been a challenge. This presentation covers how the company is using TOC solutions to bring simplicity to grow businesses at a faster pace. Company uses innovative yet simple TOC-solutions, which are internally developed.
Deployment of these solutions have helped the company to realize significant improvement in On-time In-full (OTIF) performance to stores, inventory mix in retail outlets / customers and hence inventory turns. Company will present a detailed case to demonstrate the conceptual model that is used to improve the business performance. The model developed can be easily adapted by many small, medium size businesses.
Step 1: What to Change?
- To what extent complexity in product portfolio can impact the business performance
- How simplification rules and standardization of materials can help in enhancing operating performance while reducing cash blocked
- How this improvement can also provide increased product variety to customers while ensuring consistent on-shelf availability
- How global inventory mix improvements (improving inventory of fast movers, and reducing inventory of slow, non-movers) can be achieved through simple actions in a multi-store environment
- How the shelf space can be used effectively to reduce blockage of cash flow at the customer end, while giving more chance for other products to sell, thus identifying potential fast-movers
- Ever-increasing complexity affecting business
Step 2: What to Change to?
- Simplify product portfolio and decision-making through simple, yet effective decision models
Step 3: How to cause the Change?
- Demonstrate that the proposed model enhances business performance, much more than what alternative solutions can achieve
- Alignment of measurements for entire team to focus on global optima
- Buy-in from top team about the solution direction and benefits therefrom
A) How do you measure, refocus, sustain and grow the change?
- Clear, simple trackers and dashboards which not only drive the new behavior, but show progress towards desired business benefits
Dr. Rakesh Sinha
He is actively involved in several key initiatives of the company, like TOC and Efficient Consumer Response (ECR). He is a guest faculty at several leading Management Institutes in India.
- Dr. Sinha heads the Global Supply Chain, Manufacturing and Information Technology at Godrej Consumer Products Limited
- He has done B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering and a post graduation from NITIE, a premier operations B-School in India.
- He joined Godrej Soaps as a Management Trainee in 1980 and completed ICWA, CFA and Ph.D. from IIT-Bombay while working with Godrej.
- He holds the distinction of being the first doctorate in Supply Chain Management in India.
- Dr. Sinha has headed several functions in Godrej Consumer Products including Supply Chain, Marketing, Strategic Planning and Information Systems.
- He has served on the Board of Governors of ICFAI. He is currently on the Academic Council of NITIE and the Academic Board of Welingkar Institute, a Mumbai based B-School.
Co Presenter, Radhakrishnan Jagannath
Co Presenter, Chandrashekhar Chaudhari
- Radhakrishna has completed his Post Graduation in operations from one of the leading operations business schools from India.
- He has around 17 years of professional experience across business consulting and operations across emerging markets: Asia, Africa and South America.
- In his current role with Godrej Consumer Products Ltd, he heads supply chain corporate centre for international acquisitions / JVs in emerging markets. His focus is on driving margin improvement initiatives around TOC, Lean, etc.
- In his earlier stint at Godrej Consumer Products (1999-2007), he worked closely with Goldratt Consulting as Internal champion to drive Viable Vision implementation at Godrej Consumer Products Limited.
- He is a TOCICO Certified Operations and Supply chain applications expert.
- Chandrashekhar is a Mechanical Engineer and has completed his ‘Post Graduation’ in operations from one of the leading operations business schools from India. 2002 to 2008 he has worked with the Godrej Group (one of the leading and more than 100 years old business house in India.) He has worked on several TOC implementations, many of them within the Godrej Group of companies.
- Since 2008 he has been associated with Goldratt Consulting and involved in various ‘Viable Vision’ implementations in various companies across the globe in different roles. He loves to develop and experiment with new solutions beyond traditional TOC solutions and share new knowledge at various forums including TOCICO