1. Identify a "giant", not a chupchick. Intuition will guide you - important enough subject for you.
2. Identify the enormity of the area not addressed by the giant. Reality gives the signals that so much more can be done. You are aiming for a broader, not a more confined, area than what was addressed by the giant.
3. Get on the giant's shoulders. Gain the historical perspective - understand the giant's solution better than he did.
4. Identify the conceptual difference between the reality that was improved so dramatically by the giant and the area untouched.
5. Identify the wrong assumption.
6. Conduct the full analysis to determine the core problem, solution, etc.
This post has not been tagged.